Founded in 2003 by concerned parents, Academy of Whole Learning (AOWL) is a non-profit educational organization serving students on the autism spectrum and with neurodiverse learning needs. AOWL has an accredited, private, K-12 school that is specifically designed for these students, providing the academic, social/emotional, and life skills curriculum essential for their success. With a 4:1 student/teacher ratio, AOWL provides individualized instruction to every student, enabling them to grow in a positive and unique educational environment. AOWL offers therapy services, including Psychotherapy, Intensive Behavior Intervention, Testing and Assessment, and Support Groups to further promote independence and well-being. Therapy services are offered to all age groups and families in the community and are not limited to individuals within the school. Additionally, AOWL offers robust extracurricular and summer programs for its students and community members. AOWL offers young adult programming including supports and training to be successful in college, on-the-job, and within the community.
- Purchase of a building and corresponding capital campaign
- Recently opened a behavior therapy clinic – addressing what services to add and or grow
- Will open adult programming next fall – huge need in the community, how to grow
- Marketing – we offer comprehensive services through our school, clinic and adult programmming, but our marketing budget is limited.
Annual budget: $5 million – Earned Income, Foundations, Individual Contributions
Academy of Whole Learning is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Board Governance
Our board of trustees is active and engaged. We have an excellent board chair. In analyzing our needs as a board, we would like to have someone with general legal knowledge and expertise. We currently have an amazing attorney on our board of trustees and his time of service is coming to a close.
- Number of members currently: 14
- Meeting time and frequency: 4-5 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Western Suburbs
- Time Expectation: Up to 8 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member.
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Length of Term: 3 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes