Since 1971 The Autism Society of Minnesota (AuSM) has been a place where everyone can learn, access services, and develop skills for navigating what can be challenging emotions and complex information. Services include membership, workshops, the Minnesota autism conference, AuSM Skillshops, the Life with Autism individualized consultation, specially tailored summer camps for youth and adults with autism, interest-based social skills classes with community partners, Counseling and Consulting Services, support groups, Autism Direct Support Certification training, the state autism conference, sensory-friendly events, ambitious advocacy boosting community voices, Information and Resources, and customized autism training.
At AuSM, equity and inclusion are central to our mission. Learning from diverse perspectives supports strategic creativity for meeting challenges and focusing on growth. We strive to amplify the voices of and reflect the communities we serve – in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical ability, neurodiversity, and ethnicity. We value each unique individual in our community and want to offer a safe space where people are accepted and appreciated as their complete, authentic selves.
- Educate and inform individuals, families, professionals, and the broader community about autism and effective strategies for support and inclusion.
- Support individuals and families through quality programs, counseling services, and resource information.
- Collaborate with organizations and individuals who share our commitment to enhancing the lives of those affected by autism.
- Build community and provide a welcoming and accessible environment for autistic people to connect and form their own social bonds.
AuSM is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Strategic and Business Planning
- Number of members currently: 19
- Number of members needed: 5
- Meeting time and frequency: 12 meetings annually
- Meeting location: St. Paul
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes
- Service on Committee Required: No
- Committees: Executive, Finance, Governance, Fundraising, Other
- Length of Term: 3 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes