Since October 2007, over 3,000 Minnesotans have turned to Cancer Legal Care. Cancer Legal Care provides free legal care to Minnesotans affected by cancer who otherwise have no access to an attorney’s help for the legal issues that directly impact their health and quality of life. By doing so, our clients are better able to focus their energies on healing rather than an endless loop of “what if” and worry.
Cancer Legal Care is the only organization of its kind in the state of Minnesota providing targeted legal care to the Minnesota cancer community. Cancer Legal Care’s staff and volunteer attorneys have been recognized by Minnesota’s cancer and legal communities for the unique services provided to the Minnesotans cancer community.
During its strategic planning in fall 2017, Cancer Legal Corps identified the following strategic priorities:
- Expand marketing, public relations, and fundraising capacity to meet increase demand for services
- Expand advocacy and policy work
- Continue to grow in board and organizational processes and procedures
Its client numbers are up 18% so far this year compared to the same time last year. Staff and volunteer attorney capacity needs to increase accordingly.
Annual Budget: $425,000 – Foundations, Individual Contributions, Federal or State Contracts
Cancer Legal Care is seeking board members who have a passion for its mission and the following skills and experience:
- Board Governance
- Marketing & Communications
- Strategic & Business Planning
We have just celebrated our tenth year of service to the Minnesota cancer community. We are at a new stage of our organizational growth and looking for individuals who understand and can champion our mission in their community.
- Number of members currently: 11
- Meeting time and frequency: 6 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Minneapolis
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Length of Term: 2 Years
- Renewable: Yes, up to 5 terms