CAFAC opened its doors in 2010 and was inspired by resident-led development work focused on the intersection of 38th and Chicago Avenue in South Minneapolis. We are motivated by a simple motto: sparking creativity and fueling community. Our facility is unique in the Upper Midwest, supporting a wide array of fire art forms that includes blacksmithing, enameling, flameworking, jewelry-making, metal casting, neon, welding, and more. The pillars of our programming are arts education, artist support, and public art, which together provide a platform for social impact and community-driven resources.
CAFAC is in its 10th year of operations and in a development phase, seeking to transform from a friends-and-family working board into a strategic and connected oversight body. In 2020 we’ll kick off a physical expansion plan that’s been years in the making. It promises to be an exciting and rewarding time and we are eager to bring new perspectives and talents to our leadership team.
This year we will also work to update our strategic plan, which identifies the following priorities:
- Improve financial position: developing reliable income streams to help CAFAC sustain operations and grow its capacity
- Raise the artistic bar: ensuring that programming meets the needs and interests of a thriving artistic community
- Develop infrastructure: supporting the human and physical resources that make it possible for CAFAC to serve its community
- Increase outreach and awareness: sharing CAFAC’s unique resources with wider and more diverse audiences
Annual budget: $395,000 – Earned Income, Foundations, Government Grants or Contracts
CAFAC is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Financial Management
- Marketing and Communications
- Strategic and Business Planning
As an arts organization, we’re hoping to attract candidates who have a background in the arts or consider themselves arts supporters. We are committed to being a diverse, sustainable, inclusive organization that supports creative endeavors for our community; to that end, we are particularly seeking the voices and perspectives of community members who are under-represented on nonprofit boards.
- Number of members currently: 8
- Meeting time and frequency: 6 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Minneapolis
- Time Expectation: Up to 8 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member.
- Service on Committee Required: No
- Length of Term: 3 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes