ComMUSICation (CMC) is a music youth-development program. CMC accepts all students and strives to attain a high level of artistic excellence by giving frequent community performances and providing youth with a time-intensive musical experience.
Inspired by working with Boston Children’s Chorus, Venezuelan El Sistema children’s choirs and her time teaching in Tanzania, Sara Zanussi returned home to the Twin Cities with a mission: to provide access to a high-quality music ensemble for all youth and empower them with the keys to their city through teaching them lifelong skills through music. Sara was inspired by the El Sistema philosophy because it is a global phenomenon that uses a rigorous, holistic, ensemble approach that uses musical excellence to teach lifelong skills that cultivate good leaders, citizens, and musicians.
Sara did two months of extensive community mapping and decided to do a vocal program in St. Paul due to the instrumental scholarship programs available and the existence of a youth choir in Minneapolis. She then partnered with St. Paul Conservatory of Music, St. Paul City School, St. Paul Public Schools, Sprockets Youth Development Network and the St. Paul Promise Neighborhood (SPPN), the neighborhood where ComMUSICation is based, and ComMUSICation was born.
ComMUSICation is in a growth stage. Current strategic priorities include:
- Programmatic growth in enrollment and offerings
- Increase in PR and storytelling creation
- Creating structure/systems/processes organization-wide
- Increasing volunteer base
- Transitioning board from founding board to working and governing board
Annual Budget: $265,000 – Foundations, Individuals, Government grants
ComMUSICation is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Board Governance
- Human Resources
- Marketing & Communications
We are entering year 5. You do not need any musical expertise to be a part of our team. Only passion for using music as a vehicle for social change.
- Number of members currently: 9
- Meeting time and frequency: 7 meetings annually
- Meeting location: St. Paul
- Time Expectation: Up to 8 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member.
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Length of Term: 3 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes