Cultivate works with local leaders across the globe to help creating lasting change through grassroots, local efforts.
Cultivate was born out of the understanding that often aid perpetuates dependency and how difficult it is for native-led endeavors to find sustainability and true, long-lasting impact. Built on partnership, sharing of resources, and a deep commitment to serving others through empowerment, equity, and accountability, Cultivate began to serve community leaders in 2016. We are led by people who come from the developing world, who have experience in the nonprofit sector, and who are passionate about lasting empowerment.
As a capacity-building program, we are distinct. We do not implement direct services. Instead, we invest into passionate leaders with skills & resources to spearhead their own initiatives. We are a unique digital learning, coaching & capacity-building incubator for community leaders in the Twin Cities, nationally, and across the developing world. We empower underrepresented communities by supporting individuals in launching social impact programs that address poverty, oppression & injustices. We teach them to leverage their passions & learn best practices of the charitable sector so more NGOs can be led by the people who come from the communities they serve. We are experienced in providing accessible, comprehensive training that encompasses leadership development, cross-cultural adaptivity, financial sustainability, & community mobilization to empower generations of passionate & impactful community leaders.
- Increase our partnerships across the Twin Cities, so we can empower and serve more BIPOC and immigrant/refugee communities in the metro area.
- Diversify our funding base to include foundations, business & civic organizational partnerships, and grow our donor base from 100+ donors annually to 250+.
- Increase revenue so the organization can hire 2 more employees to grow our training program, and launch two new programs – a skills-based mentoring program for trainees, and a fiscal sponsorship program for their community programs.
Annual budget: $89,000 – Earned Income, Individual Contributions, Other
Cultivate is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Board Governance
- Financial Management
- Marketing and Communications
Cultivate is especially in need of a Board Secretary and someone with extensive board leadership experience to help us establish a strong, working board where all members clearly understand their roles, contributions, and expectations. The organization has had a lot of turnover recently due to board members facing unforeseen life changes.
- Number of members currently: 5
- Meeting time and frequency: every other month
- Meeting location: Virtual
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member.
- Service on Committee Required: No
- Length of Term: 2 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes