The Gilda’s Club program is grounded in a one-of-a-kind model of social and emotional support, professionally facilitated and designed by and for those who know first-hand what living with cancer requires. Its key goal is to generate community and work in collaboration with the community. It collaborates with a wide range of organizations serving anyone impacted by cancer.
Gilda’s Club nationally acclaimed, comprehensive, evidence-based program rests on five cornerstones: Support (personalized screening and care planning, group support), Education (lectures and interactive sessions on issues specific to cancers), Healthy Lifestyle (mind-body programs, exercise, yoga, expressive arts, nutrition programs), Social Opportunities (potlucks, movie nights, special events for families and young children), and Information/Referrals (resource library for support and management skills, links to other community services).
Annual budget for Gilda’s Club Twin Cities (GCTC): $900,000
GCTC is seeking two candidates with a passion for its mission who have the following skills and experience:
- Fundraising and Communication – Gilda’s Club Twin Cities is looking for community connectors. The staff drives fundraising, but bringing your networks and a willingness to serve as an ambassador for GCTC in your circles is highly encouraged as well as reaching into broader circles.
- Management and Leadership – As GCTC transitions to a more governance- focused board, board members that bring big picture thinking and the ability to bring all of the pieces together into a cohesive plan are the kinds of skills they seek on their board. Nonprofit experience could also be useful.
- Technology – A social media guru could be of great help.
- Number of members currently: 11
- How many needed: 2
- Meeting time and frequency: 4-6 pm, typically the first Monday every other month
- Meeting location: 10560 Wayzata Blvd., Minnetonka, MN 55305
- Time Expectation: Approximately four to six hours per month (board and committee work)
- Financial Contribution Required: $5,000 through donation, in-kind, connections and the like. GCTC current number one priority is fundraising, but their team is very willing to work with board members on a roadmap to different ways they can support and connect in service to that.
- Service on Committee Required: No
- Length of Term: Three years
- Renewable: Yes