Our founder, Margaret Hamm Kelley, was ahead of her time. A social worker and granddaughter of renowned St. Paul leader Theodore Hamm, she recognized that mental illness was a serious problem … especially for those unable to afford care.
In 1954, Margaret established Hamm Clinic. She gathered a team of clinical social workers, psychologists, and psychiatrists to provide integrated mental health care to individuals who could not pay for treatment. She also fought against the stigma of mental illness. Her motto was: Comprehensive mental health care is a basic human right that should be accessible to everyone.
Our current strategic priorities (2020 – 2023) include:
1) Expand and Disseminate Hamm Clinic’s culturally responsive, trauma informed, anti-oppressive Healing Together Model of Care.
2) Determine the target scope of client services and funding consistent with Hamm Clinic’s mission and values. This includes assessing our business model, space needs, and whether we are meeting our mission.
3) Establish through collective reflection and action anti-oppressive and culturally responsive practices at all levels of the organization.
Annual Budget: $3.9 million – Earned Income, Foundations, Individual Contributions
Hamm Memorial Psychiatric Clinic is seeking board members who have a passion for its mission and the following skills and experience:
- Marketing and Communications
- Public Policy and Advocacy
- Strategic and Business Planning
We are excited to add candidates who have experience in one or more of these areas: behavioral health, program evaluation and research, small business experience, non-profit management and/or board experience. We are dedicated to living our organization’s culturally responsive and anti-oppressive values and would like to prioritize for candidacy BIPOC applicants and those who share those values.
- Number of board members needed: 3
- Number of members currently: 7
- Meeting time and frequency: 6 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Virtual
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Committees: Finance, Fundraising, Other
- Length of Term: 3 year terms
- Renewable: Yes
- Financial Contribution: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes