Founded in 1998, JazzMN’s mission is to cultivate the love of jazz through concerts and educational experiences. JazzMN accomplishes its mission through the musicians of the JazzMN Orchestra, a 17-piece professional big band, featuring locally-based “top-call” musicians and internationally known guest artists. JazzMN’s guest artists have included highly regarded performers like Arturo Sandoval, Wycliffe Gordon and Minnesota’s own Maria Schneider. JazzMN attracts one of the largest audiences for jazz in the region, averaging 500+ in attendance at most shows. Aside from performances, JazzMN musicians and guest artists provide educational clincis and master classes to thousands of students throughout the region.
JazzMN’s strategic priorities are focused on five areas:
- The Jazz Experience: JazzMN performance and educational opportunities take place in a variety of venues and locations and are high quality, relevant and engaging experiences for a diversity of audiences.
- Human Capital: JazzMN has developed a diverse board membership, representing a variety of backgrounds, experiences and talents, that are capable of supporting, promoting and growing JazzMN’s mission and impact.
- Marketing and Outreach: JazzMN expands upon its leadership role in the Twin Cities jazz community, growing and diversifying its audience base, expanding its geographic outreach and increasing donor and funder support for its concerts and educational programming.
- Collaboration: JazzMN builds on existing partnerships and enters into new strategic relationships to reduce costs, reach new audiences and expand educational programming.
- Sustainability: JazzMN grows and sustains its mission and programs through strategic fund development, resulting in a diversified base of funding.
Annual budget: $60,000 – Earned Income, Foundations, Individual Contributions, Government Grants or Contracts
JazzMN, Inc. is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Financial Management
- Marketing and Communications
JazzMN is looking to recruit a Board Treasurer. This person will be a financial professional with background in accounting, finance, budgeting, and cash flow analysis. Basic knowledge of nonprofit accounting practices and tax laws is a plus.
- Number of board members needed: 3
- Number of members currently: 11
- Meeting time and frequency: 12 meetings annually
- Meeting location: St. Paul
- Time Expectation: Up to 5hrs/month
- Financial Contribution: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Standing Board Committees: Fundraising, Other
- Length of Term: 3 years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes