MAVA was founded by passionate volunteers who saw that volunteerism was the major force behind most causes, charities and social change movement in Minnesota. There was a need to support organizations that engage volunteers so that volunteers can continue to serve our communities in a truly effective manner.
MAVA is the place for Board service because we have a significant impact in addressing homelessness, hunger, elder and youth issues, health care, equity and so many other issues through effective leveraging of volunteer resources. MAVA does research and education in volunteer trends and issues and works to build capacity by effective volunteer engagement. Board service with MAVA will provide an opportunity to see how 400 different member organizations can meet their mission through best practices in volunteer engagement.
Annual budget: $450,000 – Earned Income, Foundations, Individual Contributions, Government Grants or Contracts, Other
MAVA is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Marketing and Communications
- Public Policy and Advocacy
- Strategic and Business Planning
This is a great opportunity for a first time Board member or a more experienced candidate. MAVA has a well engaged Board of Directors and uses best practices in volunteer engagement on our Board.
- Number of members currently: 12
- Meeting time and frequency: 10 meetings annually
- Meeting location: St. Paul
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member.
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Length of Term: 2 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes