The Merriam Park Living At Home/Block Nurse Program (now using the d.b.a. name Neighborhood Network for Seniors) – Helping the seniors of St. Paul Districts 13 “Union Park” and 8 “Summit University” (between University Ave. and Summit Ave / between The Cathedral and the Mississippi River or 280) stay at home safely since 1991.
They are a local, neighborhood supported organization that provides seniors and their families the support needed to stay healthy and independent, living at home safely, securely and connected to their community. They offer private, personal needs assessment for both seniors and for individuals caring for a senior or other person with memory problems. They serve seniors and caregivers regardless of income, but focus on providing services to seniors who do not qualify for county assistance but do not have the income or assets to pay for the services they need. They provide seniors and their caregivers with information and services including:
- Care planning with our outreach nurse provided at no cost
- Affordable in-home nursing services on a sliding scale fee basis provided by a licensed home-care partner
- Occasional transportation to necessary appointments
- Connecting seniors with affordable chore services
- Providing neighborhood volunteers who provide companionship and a neighborly helping hand
- Connecting caregivers to support, information and training
- Fundraising/Development: broad vision, not gala focused
- Knowledge of aging issues or innovations in creating communities for a lifetime
- Public Policy/Advocacy: Political connections or advocacy – grassroots, city or service organizations
- It would be helpful if individuals had a connection to the Summit University or Lex-Ham neighborhoods.
Number of members currently: 6
How many needed: 2-4
Meeting time and frequency: 6x/year, Monday evenings from 6:30 – 8:00 pm
Meeting location: Via Zoom and in person
Time Expectation: Two to four hours per month
Financial Contribution Required: No
Service on Committee Required: No
Length of Term: Three years
Questions about this board opportunity?
Recruiter: Steve Woldum