Minnesota Computers for Schools (MCFS) began as a state-run program in 1997 that provided technology to low-income and disadvantaged students. As technology literacy has become increasingly relevant and necessary to succeed in today’s workforce, MCFS has expanded and deepened services to impact thousands of lives throughout Minnesota communities. It not only provides computers to schools and community organizations to address immediate needs, but also provides individuals, specifically in low-income, minority communities, the tools they need to become prosperous and self-sufficient adults. It has grown to address racial, economic, and employment equality by propelling communities forward through innovative technology programming and offer career pathways for youth and adults.
MCFS is all about workforce training. First, it trains approximately 30 offenders to recycle and refurbish computer equipment that allows the organization to provide low- to no-cost technology to schools and nonprofits. Secondly, it works with five community partners to provide workforce training – both IT certificate classes and soft skills courses along with pathways to further education and/or employment.
Annual budget is $1.5-$2.0 million
MCFS is seeking two candidates with a passion for its mission who have the following executive level skills and experience:
- Financial management experience to help board members understand MCFS financials and provide oversight and advice to the organization.
- Marketing and Communications experience to provide advice and oversight of these activities.
- Fundraising experience to provide advice and oversight on fundraising activities.
Although not required, individuals offering racial and ethnic diversity and individuals working for companies that are potential donors of computer equipment are especially desired. Sharing of contacts and/or assistance with introductions to companies is very important to the organization.
- Number of members currently: 10
- How many needed: 2
- Meeting time and frequency: Monthly, third Tuesday, 7:30 – 9 am
- Meeting location: 213 4th Street East, 4th Floor, St. Paul, MN 55101 (CoCo Lowertown, St. Paul)
- Time Expectation: Approximately five hours per month (board and committee work)
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Length of Term: Three years
- Renewable: Yes, two term maximum