The Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge is one of the premier urban national wildlife refuges in the country. With more than 46 miles of trails and two visitor centers, the Refuge stretches 70 miles along the Minnesota River from Bloomington to Henderson. As the citizen support group of this Refuge, Minnesota Valley Refuge Friends assists the Refuge in its mission to “work with others to conserve, protect, and enhance the fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.” Since the Refuge was established in 1976, citizens have been involved with the expansion and enhancement of the over 14,000 acres of protected habitat for both wildlife and lovers of the outdoors. The Purpose of MVRF is to assist the Refuge in accomplishing its mission.
1) Increase number of annual individual and corporate donors, or Friends.
2) Create sustaining funding of organization to fund staff.
3) Expand funded programs the Refuge is able to offer to the community and schools.
Annual Budget: $150,000 – Foundations, Individual Contributions
Minnesota Valley Refuge Friends is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Board Governance
- Marketing and Communications
- Strategic and Business Planning
- Number of members currently: 10
- Meeting time and frequency: 12 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Virtual
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: No
- Service on Committee Required: No
- Length of Term: 1 Year
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes