MnCAN (Minnesota Connect Aphasia Now) focuses on conversation groups for people with aphasia as facilitated by SLPs (Speech and Language Pathologists) and have initiated an aphasia choir. They serve 50 people with aphasia in the metro and outstate.
MnCAN is committed to helping people with aphasia in Minnesota live more fully and independently within their communities. 1 in 275 people in MN have aphasia. Their goals are to:
- Expand into more groups and to reach more people with aphasia.
- Expand their program offerings and locations.
- Secure financial stability and options to support staff.
- Develop an aphasia center.
Annual Budget of $20,000
They are seeking two candidates with an interest in their mission. Ideal candidates would have some knowledge of stroke, head injury and/or aphasia or personally have a family member with aphasia. They are primarily interested in candidates that have some of the following skills:
- Business Development, Planning and Strategic Alliances, particularly Program Growth
- Project Management
- Leadership Development
- Fundraising, particularly Development Planning, Capital Campaigns and Grantwriting
- Marketing and Communications
Number of members currently: Three
How many needed: Two
Meeting time and frequency: Lunch meetings, eight meetings per year
Meeting location: West Minneapolis Suburbs
Board members are expected to attend meetings, provide governance to the organization, represent the organization to the community, and ensure compliance with MnCAN Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.
Time Expectation: Up to five hours per month
Financial Contribution Required: No
Service on Committee Required: No
Term Length: Three years