Our Streets Minneapolis was founded in 2009 as the Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition. In 2017, we changed our name to Our Streets Minneapolis. With this change, we affirmed our commitment to people walking and rolling, not just people biking.
Our Streets Minneapolis envisions a city where:
- Biking, walking, and rolling are easy and joyful for people of all backgrounds and identities in all parts of Minneapolis; -Streets and trails are vibrant community spaces with people walking and biking year-round and at all times;
- Kids and families feel safe and comfortable walking and biking to neighborhood schools, parks, and businesses
- Older adults and people with mobility challenges are healthy, independent, and connected with their communities through streets and sidewalks designed for them; and
- Abundant biking and walking contributes to happy people, a healthy environment, and a strong economy.
Our Streets Minneapolis believes in the power of people:
- Our work is volunteer driven and community supported;
- We use a community organizing approach to set and act on our local advocacy priorities to make streets places that put people first;
- We depend on the passion and skills of hundreds of volunteers to make our work happen each year from our Board of Directors to the folks who volunteer at our Open Streets Minneapolis events.
- As part of centering people in our work, we apply an equity lens to everything we do. Learn more about how we do that by reading our Equity Statement.
Annual budget: $200,000 – Foundations, Individual Contributions, Government or Grant Contracts
Our Streets Minneapolis is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Financial Management
- Management and Leadership
- Strategic and Business Planning
- Number of board members needed: 8
- Number of members currently: 8
- Meeting time and frequency: 6 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Virtual/Minneapolis
- Time Expectation: Up to 8 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes
- Service on Committee Required: No
- Standing Board Committees: Finance, Fundraising, Other
- Length of Term: 2 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes