Plymouth Christian Youth Center was founded in 1954 in an old hotel on Plymouth Avenue by students from Luther Seminary and other social justice advocates. Displaced when I-94 construction was underway, the organization moved to the heart of North Minneapolis on West Broadway Avenue in 1969.
Today, through non-sectarian programs focused on education, the arts (centered at our Capri Theater), and youth development, we celebrate our vibrant community and amplify diverse voices.
PCYC’s vision is to be a place of strength, safety and beauty where every young person is nurtured and challenged to reach their utmost potential. Youth, adults and families come together to turn back the tides of poverty and violence, embracing hope, compassion and the reality of a better world.
2017-2019 Strategic Goals:
- Increase youth opportunities for school and life success: Promote the academic and social-emotional development of over 2000 youth each year by offering outstanding, innovative experiences in its Arts & Technology High School, its elementary Out-of-School-Time programs and at the Capri Theater.
- Complete the Capri Theater Renaissance project, leading the way for a bright North Minneapolis future.
- Sustain the mission: In 2018, PCYC will celebrate its 65th anniversary of service to North Minneapolis area children and youth as a strong, forward-looking organization that’s embracing its next generation of leadership.
Annual budget: $4.5 million – Federal or State Contracts, Earned Income, Foundations
Plymouth Christian Youth Center is seeking two candidates with a passion for its mission, who have skills and experience in at least one of the following:
- Board governance
- Human Resources
- Facilities and real estate
- Number of members currently: 17
- How many needed: 2
- Meeting time and frequency: Every other month
- Meeting location: Minneapolis
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours per month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Length of Term: Three years
- Renewable: Yes