While participating in one of the first American Dental Association’s ‘Give Kids a Smile’ Day the founder of Ready Set Smile, Adele Della Torre, and her team were awoken to HOW much dental disease was present in the communities around them and decided to make a difference. They decided to embrace the vision every child in our community will have an opportunity to be free of dental disease.
Since 2013 Ready, Set, Smile has been delivering on-site dental treatment and health education to children from underrepresented communities in Minneapolis schools for the last seven years. A culturally-competent agency, Ready, Set, Smile now partners with 27 preschools and school-aged children through the 8th grade to ensure all children have access and resources to live productive lives
The pandemic has been a significant challenge for RSS as seeing kids in school is the best way to reach them. Dental disease did not pause for the pandemic to pass and we are seeing it in our pediatric clinics. Getting ramped back up and expanding our impact are the focus of RSS in 2021-22.
Adele and RSS were AARP Purpose Prize recipients in 2019-20 https://states.aarp.org/california/aarp-announces-2019-2020-purpose-prize-winners-five-60k-awards-will-be-presented . The Purpose Prize is a national award “that celebrates people 50-plus who are using their life experience to create social change.
GOAL: IMPROVE CHILDREN’S HEALTH WITH FAMILIES, SCHOOLS AND SYSTEMS
- Build Ready Set Smile capacity to improve systems that serve children.
- Authentically partner with families to improve their children’s health.
- Improve engagement of school administration and staff.
GOAL: STRENGTHEN ORGANIZATIONAL SUSTAINABILITY
- Increase philanthropic and earned revenue.
- Align board policy and practice with organizational needs.
GOAL: OPERATE WITH EXCELLENCE
- Strengthen Ready Set Smile structure to improve capacity.
- Determine roles and responsibilities to match growth and prepare for the future.
- Standardize staff training and follow-up.
- Use Ready Set Smile impact data for learning and communication.
Annual budget: $500,000 – Earned Income, Individual Contributions, Government Grants or Contracts
Ready Set Smile is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Number of members currently: 9
- Meeting time and frequency: 4 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Minneapolis
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: No
- Service on Committee Required: No
- Length of Term: 3 Years; can serve 2 terms before rotating off for at least a year.
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? No