Solid Ground was founded in the late 1980s by a group of professional women in suburban Ramsey and Washington Counties seeking to address the service needs of low-income mothers living in their communities. Though originally envisioned to only serve women with children, Solid Ground has housed all family structures, including single fathers and two-parent families since its inception. Originally named East Metro Women’s Council, the organization changed its name in March 2013 to Solid Ground to better reflect its mission: to prevent and end homelessness for families with children through housing, resources, and opportunity.
Throughout our programs, a majority of adults we serve are survivors of domestic violence, sexual abuse or other trauma. Most clients also have diagnosed or undiagnosed mental and/or chemical health issues. Many of the children served by Solid Ground also have experienced abuse and neglect, in addition to the trauma of homelessness. They have high rates of learning disabilities, chronic illnesses, developmental delays and emotional/behavioral problems, and many struggle to perform at grade level in school.
Solid Ground is in the final year of its current strategic plan, which identified four key priorities:
- Expand services to children and youth to break the cycle of homelessness.
- Provide wellness programs to improve clients’ health and well-being.
- Enhance opportunities for permanent employment.
- Continue organizational growth and impact.
The Solid Ground Board and leadership staff are in the process of a strategic plan refresh that will guide the organization’s work in the next few years.
Annual budget: $1.8 million – Foundations, Individual Contributions, Government Grants or Contracts
Solid Ground is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Facilities and Real Estate
- Marketing and Communications
- Strategic and Business Planning
We are looking for Board candidates who are passionate about ending homelessness and who will be good ambassadors for Solid Ground. We are seeking to expand our housing and impact in the community and need help from the board in promoting the organization within their circles of influence. We do expect 100% board giving but there is no minimum amount required; we just ask that Solid Ground be among members’ top 3-5 gifts.
- Number of members currently: 13
- Meeting time and frequency: 6 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Eastern Suburbs
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member.
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Length of Term: 3 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes