The Aliveness Project was founded in 1985 by folks living with HIV/AIDS in South Minneapolis. In the midst of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, our founders came together over potlucks for their friends and loved ones living with HIV/AIDS who were struggling to meet their basic needs. In the 35+ years since our founding, we have grown to offer daily meals, a food shelf, case management, and prevention efforts to communities who are disproportionately affected by HIV in Minnesota, specifically, men who have sex with men, low-income communities, immigrant communities, and transgender communities. Staying responsive to our members’ evolving needs has helped us to expand our programming and remain adaptive during the COVID pandemic.
After two years of facing the twin pandemics of HIV and COVID, our members’ needs have grown, and Aliveness has grown right alongside them. Since 2020, we have created four new staff positions in our Housing Program, we have created a free pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) clinic, and added in-house mental health services. Our organization’s background in addressing the social determinants of health helped us adapt to COVID, and will guide us into creating a more fair and healthy future.
- Basic needs: We provide daily meals and a food shelf, while our Case Management team helps provide access to healthcare, housing, and mental health services.
- Community: Our community center model provides a safe and supportive place for members to gather and build community. Anyone living with HIV can become a member, and members can access all of our services for free.
- Prevention: We provide targeted outreach to communities disproportionately affected by HIV through awareness, testing, and distribution of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP).
Annual Budget: $4,000,000 – Earned Income, Foundations, Government Grants or Contracts
The Aliveness Project is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Human Resources
- Management and Leadership
- Strategic and Business Planning
- Number of members currently: 12
- Meeting time and frequency: 12 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Virtual
- Time Expectation: Up to 5 hours/month
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Current Committees – Executive, Finance, Fundraising
- Length of Term: 2 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes