Since 1987, Young Dance has been working toward our mission to transform lives through movement, providing a safe space for young people to grow as individuals and community through embodied self-expression and collaboration. Young Dance operates in three main programs: weekly classes serving 215 youth ages 1-18 annually; a performance company of 25 members, ages 7-18; and community partnerships that engage a broader scope of the Twin Cities’ youth. Individuals with and without disabilities are integrated across all of our programs as equal participants in the exploration, creation, and performance of dance.
Young Dance moved to our first permanent location in August 2019. Our first year was interrupted by the pandemic when we turned all of our programming virtual. We are currently focusing on re-establishing our new home, and growing from all we have learned over the course of the past two years, our move, the pandemic, and the social unrest in our communities. As we grow our community and are programming we are committed to evolving with a lens of anti-racism in our practices and our programming.
Specific goals include:
- Grow our weekly class offerings and provide a community space where families and youth can get to know each other.
- Increase student enrollment, increasing our earned income
- Develop new community partnerships, specific to our new St. Paul location
- Increase the representation of BIPOC, LGBUTQIA+ and Individuals with disabilities across our students, families, staff, and board.
Annual budget: $250,000 – Earned Income, Individual Contributions, Government Grants or Contracts
Young Dance is seeking board members with skills in the following areas:
- Facilities and Real Estate
- Financial Management
- Number of members currently: 11
- Meeting time and frequency: 12 meetings annually
- Meeting location: Virtual
- Time Expectation: 2 hrs/month for meeting plus additional committee work (1-4 hrs/monthly)
- Financial Contribution Required: Yes, at a level meaningful to the board member.
- Service on Committee Required: Yes
- Length of Term: 2 Years
- Renewable: Yes
- Does nonprofit carry liability insurance? Yes